Online learning represents a new kind of challenge for students. Expectations vary widely and the online program response may not always meet expectations. There are some things all students should expect, however. Students should be expected to be challenged academically. They should expect not to understand everything they experience in their online educational program. They can expect to not always see the relevance of what they are asked to do. But, they should expect that resources will be available to help them. lIn order to help your child embrace the online learning program they have chosen:
- Empower your student to take the initiative and solve his or her own learning problems within reason.
- Familiarize yourself with the online instructional program and resources in the event you will need to assist your student in them.
- Advise the instructional program if you or your student experiences difficulty
- Remember that students often change their minds and this is okay
- Avoid too much advice, too much supervision, solving their problems, and second-guessing your student
- Stay positive