Definition of 'absorption'
- (chemistry) a process in which one substance permeates another; a fluid permeates or is dissolved by a liquid or solid
Synonyms: soaking up
- (physics) the process in which incident radiated energy is retained without reflection or transmission on passing through a medium; "the absorption of photons by atoms or molecules"
- the social process of absorbing one cultural group into harmony with another
- the process of absorbing nutrients into the body after digestion
- complete attention; intense mental effort
Synonyms: concentration engrossment immersion
- the mental state of being preoccupied by something
Synonyms: preoccupation preoccupancy engrossment