Definition of 'accent'
You searched for accents
- distinctive manner of oral expression; "he couldn't suppress his contemptuous accent"; "she had a very clear speech pattern"
Synonyms: speech pattern
- special importance or significance; "the red light gave the central figure increased emphasis"; "the room was decorated in shades of grey with distinctive red accents"
- the usage or vocabulary that is characteristic of a specific group of people; "the immigrants spoke an odd dialect of English"; "he has a strong German accent"; "it has been said that a language is a dialect with an army and navy"
Synonyms: dialect idiom
- the relative prominence of a syllable or musical note (especially with regard to stress or pitch); "he put the stress on the wrong syllable"
Synonyms: stress emphasis
- a diacritical mark used to indicate stress or placed above a vowel to indicate a special pronunciation
Synonyms: accent mark
- to stress, single out as important; "Dr. Jones emphasizes exercise in addition to a change in diet"
Synonyms: stress emphasize emphasise punctuate accentuate
- put stress on; utter with an accent; "In Farsi, you accent the last syllable of each word"
Synonyms: stress accentuate