Definition of 'accept'
You searched for accepts
- consider or hold as true; "I cannot accept the dogma of this church"; "accept an argument"
- receive willingly something given or offered; "The only girl who would have him was the miller's daughter"; "I won't have this dog in my house!"; "Please accept my present"
Synonyms: take have
Antonyms: refuse reject pass up turn down decline
- give an affirmative reply to; respond favorably to; "I cannot accept your invitation"; "I go for this resolution"
Synonyms: consent go for
Antonyms: refuse decline
- react favorably to; consider right and proper; "People did not accept atonal music at that time"; "We accept the idea of universal health care"
- admit into a group or community; "accept students for graduate study"; "We'll have to vote on whether or not to admit a new member"
Synonyms: admit take take on
- take on as one's own the expenses or debts of another person; "I'll accept the charges"; "She agreed to bear the responsibility"
Synonyms: bear take over assume
- tolerate or accommodate oneself to; "I shall have to accept these unpleasant working conditions"; "I swallowed the insult"; "She has learned to live with her husband's little idiosyncrasies"
Synonyms: live with swallow
- be designed to hold or take; "This surface will not take the dye"
- receive (a report) officially, as from a committee
- make use of or accept for some purpose; "take a risk"; "take an opportunity"
- be sexually responsive to, used of a female domesticated mammal; "The cow accepted the bull"