Definition of 'acquire'
- come into the possession of something concrete or abstract; "She got a lot of paintings from her uncle"; "They acquired a new pet"; "Get your results the next day"; "Get permission to take a few days off from work"
- take on a certain form, attribute, or aspect; "His voice took on a sad tone"; "The story took a new turn"; "he adopted an air of superiority"; "She assumed strange manners"; "The gods assume human or animal form in these fables"
Synonyms: assume adopt take on take
- come to have or undergo a change of (physical features and attributes); "He grew a beard"; "The patient developed abdominal pains"; "I got funny spots all over my body"; "Well-developed breasts"
Synonyms: grow develop produce get
- locate (a moving entity) by means of a tracking system such as radar
- win something through one's efforts; "I acquired a passing knowledge of Chinese"; "Gain an understanding of international finance"
Synonyms: win gain
- gain knowledge or skills; "She learned dancing from her sister"; "I learned Sanskrit"; "Children acquire language at an amazing rate"
Synonyms: learn larn
- gain through experience; "I acquired a strong aversion to television"; "Children must develop a sense of right and wrong"; "Dave developed leadership qualities in his new position"; "develop a passion for painting"
Synonyms: develop evolve