Definition of 'active'
You searched for actives
- chemical agent capable of activity
Synonyms: active agent
- the voice used to indicate that the grammatical subject of the verb is performing the action or causing the happening denoted by the verb; "`The boy threw the ball' uses the active voice"
Synonyms: active voice
Antonyms: passive voice passive
- a person devoted to the active life
- tending to become more severe or wider in scope; "active tuberculosis"
- engaged in or ready for military or naval operations; "on active duty"; "the platoon is combat-ready"; "review the fighting forces"
Synonyms: combat-ready fighting
- disposed to take action or effectuate change; "a director who takes an active interest in corporate operations"; "an active antagonism"; "he was active in drawing attention to their grievances"
Antonyms: passive inactive
- taking part in an activity; "an active member of the club"; "he was politically active"; "the participating organizations"
- characterized by energetic activity; "an active toddler"; "active as a gazelle"; "an active man is a man of action"
- exerting influence or producing a change or effect; "an active ingredient"
- full of activity or engaged in continuous activity; "an active seaport"; "an active bond market"; "an active account"
- in operation; "keep hope alive"; "the tradition was still alive"; "an active tradition"
- of the sun; characterized by a high level activity in sunspots and flares and radio emissions
- expressing that the subject of the sentence has the semantic function of actor: "Hemingway favors active constructions"
- expressing action rather than a state of being; used of verbs (e.g. `to run') and participial adjectives (e.g. `running' in `running water')
- (of e.g. volcanos) capable of erupting
- (of e.g. volcanos) erupting or liable to erupt; "active volcanos"
Antonyms: dormant inactive
- engaged in full-time work; "active duty"; "though past retirement age he is still active in his profession"