Definition of 'actual'
- presently existing in fact and not merely potential or possible; "the predicted temperature and the actual temperature were markedly different"; "actual and imagined conditions"
Antonyms: potential possible
- taking place in reality; not pretended or imitated; "we saw the actual wedding on television"; "filmed the actual beating"
- being or reflecting the essential or genuine character of something; "her actual motive"; "a literal solitude like a desert"- G.K.Chesterton; "a genuine dilemma"
Synonyms: genuine literal real
- existing in act or fact; "rocks and trees...the actual world"; "actual heroism"; "the actual things that produced the emotion you experienced"
- existing in fact whether with lawful authority or not; "de facto segregation is as real as segregation imposed by law"; "a de facto state of war"
Synonyms: de facto factual
Antonyms: de jure
- being or existing at the present moment; "the ship's actual position is 22 miles due south of Key West"