Definition of 'acute'
- a mark (') placed above a vowel to indicate pronunciation
Synonyms: acute accent ague
- having or experiencing a rapid onset and short but severe course; "acute appendicitis"; "the acute phase of the illness"; "acute patients"
- extremely sharp or intense; "acute pain"; "felt acute annoyance"; "intense itching and burning"
- having or demonstrating ability to recognize or draw fine distinctions; "an acute observer of politics and politicians"; "incisive comments"; "icy knifelike reasoning"; "as sharp and incisive as the stroke of a fang"; "penetrating insight"; "frequent penetrative observations"
Synonyms: discriminating incisive keen knifelike penetrating penetrative piercing sharp
- of an angle; less than 90 degrees
- ending in a sharp point
Synonyms: acuate sharp needlelike
- of critical importance and consequence; "an acute (or critical) lack of research funds"