Definition of 'adopt'
You searched for adopts
- choose and follow; as of theories, ideas, policies, strategies or plans; "She followed the feminist movement"; "The candidate espouses Republican ideals"
Synonyms: follow espouse
- take up and practice as one's own
Synonyms: borrow take over take up
- take on titles, offices, duties, responsibilities; "When will the new President assume office?"
Synonyms: assume take on take over
- take on a certain form, attribute, or aspect; "His voice took on a sad tone"; "The story took a new turn"; "he adopted an air of superiority"; "She assumed strange manners"; "The gods assume human or animal form in these fables"
Synonyms: assume acquire take on take
- take into one's family; "They adopted two children from Nicaragua"
Synonyms: take in
- put into dramatic form; "adopt a book for a screenplay"
Synonyms: dramatize dramatise
- take up the cause, ideology, practice, method, of someone and use it as one's own; "She embraced Catholicism"; "They adopted the Jewish faith"
Synonyms: espouse embrace sweep up