Definition of 'agent'
- an active and efficient cause; capable of producing a certain effect; "their research uncovered new disease agents"
- a substance that exerts some force or effect
- a representative who acts on behalf of other persons or organizations
- a businessman who buys or sells for another in exchange for a commission
Synonyms: factor broker
- any agent or representative of a federal agency or bureau
Synonyms: federal agent
- the semantic role of the animate entity that instigates or causes the happening denoted by the verb in the clause
Synonyms: agentive role