Definition of 'alert'
- condition of heightened watchfulness or preparation for action; "bombers were put on alert during the crisis"
Synonyms: qui vive
- a warning serves to make you more alert to danger
- an automatic signal (usually a sound) warning of danger
Synonyms: alarm warning signal alarum
- warn or arouse to a sense of danger or call to a state of preparedness; "The empty house alarmed him"; "We alerted the new neighbors to the high rate of burglaries"
- very attentive or observant; "an alert and responsive baby is a joy"; "caught by a couple of alert cops"; "alert enough to spot the opportunity when it came"; "constantly alert and vigilant, like a sentinel on duty"
- mentally responsive; "an alert mind"
- not unconscious; especially having become conscious; "the patient is now awake and alert"
- (usually followed by `to') showing acute awareness; mentally perceptive; "alert to the problems"; "alive to what is going on"; "awake to the dangers of her situation"; "was now awake to the reality of his predicament"
Synonyms: alive awake