Definition of 'allowance'
- an amount allowed or granted (as during a given period); "travel allowance"; "my weekly allowance of two eggs"; "a child's allowance should not be too generous"
- a sum granted as reimbursement for expenses
- an amount added or deducted on the basis of qualifying circumstances; "an allowance for profit"
- a permissible difference; allowing some freedom to move within limits
Synonyms: leeway margin tolerance
- a reserve fund created by a charge against profits in order to provide for changes in the value of a company's assets
Synonyms: valuation reserve valuation account allowance account
- the act of allowing; "He objected to the allowance of smoking in the dining room"
- put on a fixed allowance, as of food