Definition of 'alone'
- isolated from others; "could be alone in a crowded room"; "was alone with her thoughts"; "I want to be alone"
- lacking companions or companionship; "he was alone when we met him"; "she is alone much of the time"; "the lone skier on the mountain"; "a lonely fisherman stood on a tuft of gravel"; "a lonely soul"; "a solitary traveler"
Synonyms: lone lonely solitary
- exclusive of anyone or anything else; "she alone believed him"; "cannot live by bread alone"; "I'll have this car and this car only"
- radically distinctive and without equal; "he is alone in the field of microbiology"; "this theory is altogether alone in its penetration of the problem"; "Bach was unique in his handling of counterpoint"; "craftsmen whose skill is unequaled"; "unparalleled athletic ability"; "a breakdown of law unparalleled in our history"
Synonyms: unique unequaled unequalled unparalleled
- without any others being included or involved; "was entirely to blame"; "a school devoted entirely to the needs of problem children"; "he works for Mr. Smith exclusively"; "did it solely for money"; "the burden of proof rests on the prosecution alone"; "a privilege granted only to him"
Synonyms: entirely exclusively solely only
- without anybody else; "the child stayed home alone"; "he flew solo"
Synonyms: solo unaccompanied