Definition of 'alter'
- cause to change; make different; cause a transformation; "The advent of the automobile may have altered the growth pattern of the city"; "The discussion has changed my thinking about the issue"
Synonyms: change modify
- make or become different in some particular way, without permanently losing one's or its former characteristics or essence; "her mood changes in accordance with the weather"; "The supermarket's selection of vegetables varies according to the season"
Synonyms: change vary
- make an alteration to; "This dress needs to be altered"
- insert words into texts, often falsifying it thereby
Synonyms: interpolate falsify
- remove the ovaries of; "Is your cat spayed?"
Synonyms: neuter spay castrate