Definition of 'american'
- a native or inhabitant of the United States
- the English language as used in the United States
Synonyms: American English American language
- a native or inhabitant of a North American or Central American or South American country
- of or relating to the United States of America or its people or language or culture; "American citizens"; "American English"; "the American dream"
- of or relating to or characteristic of the continents and islands of the Americas; "the American hemisphere"; "American flora and fauna"