Definition of 'amount'
- how much of something is available; "an adequate amount of food for four people"
- a quantity of money; "he borrowed a large sum"; "the amount he had in cash was insufficient"
Synonyms: sum sum of money amount of money
- how much there is of something that you can quantify
Synonyms: measure quantity
- a quantity obtained by the addition of a group of numbers
Synonyms: sum total
- be tantamount or equivalent to; "Her action amounted to a rebellion"
- add up in number or quantity; "The bills amounted to $2,000"; "The bill came to $2,000"
Synonyms: total number add up come
- develop into; "This idea will never amount to anything"; "nothing came of his grandiose plans"
Synonyms: come add up