Definition of 'answer'
- a statement (either spoken or written) that is made in reply to a question or request or criticism or accusation; "I waited several days for his answer"; "he wrote replies to several of his critics"
Synonyms: reply response
- a statement that solves a problem or explains how to solve the problem; "they were trying to find a peaceful solution"; "the answers were in the back of the book"; "he computed the result to four decimal places"
Synonyms: solution result resolution solvent
- the speech act of replying to a question
Antonyms: question inquiry enquiry query interrogation
- the principle pleading by the defendant in response to plaintiff's complaint; in criminal law it consists of the defendant's plea of `guilty' or `not guilty' (or nolo contendere); in civil law it must contain denials of all allegations in the plaintiff's complaint that the defendant hopes to controvert and it can contain affirmative defenses or counterclaims
- a nonverbal reaction; "his answer to any problem was to get drunk"; "their answer was to sue me"
- reply or respond to; "She didn't want to answer"; "answer the question"; "We answered that we would accept the invitation"
Synonyms: reply respond
- give the correct answer or solution to; "answer a question"; "answer the riddle"
- respond to a signal; "answer the door"; "answer the telephone"
- understand the meaning of; "The question concerning the meaning of life cannot be answered"
- give a defence or refutation of (a charge) or in (an argument); "The defendant answered to all the charges of the prosecution"
- be liable or accountable; "She must answer for her actions"
- be sufficient; be adequate, either in quality or quantity; "A few words would answer"; "This car suits my purpose well"; "Will $100 do?"; "A 'B' grade doesn't suffice to get me into medical school"; "Nothing else will serve"
Synonyms: suffice do serve
- match or correspond; "The drawing of the suspect answers to the description the victim gave"
- be satisfactory for; meet the requirements of or serve the purpose of; "This may answer her needs"
- react to a stimulus or command; "The steering of my new car answers to the slightest touch"