Definition of 'apply'
- put into service; make work or employ (something) for a particular purpose or for its inherent or natural purpose; "use your head!"; "we only use Spanish at home"; "I can't use this tool"; "Apply a magnetic field here"; "This thinking was applied to many projects"; "How do you utilize this tool?"; "I apply this rule to get good results"; "use the plastic bags to store the food"; "He doesn't know how to use a computer"
Synonyms: use utilize utilise employ
- be pertinent or relevant or applicable; "The same laws apply to you!"; "This theory holds for all irrational numbers"; "The same rules go for everyone"
Synonyms: hold go for
- ask (for something); "He applied for a leave of absence"; "She applied for college"; "apply for a job"
- apply to a surface; "She applied paint to the back of the house"; "Put on make-up!"
Synonyms: put on
- be applicable to; as to an analysis; "This theory lends itself well to our new data"
Synonyms: lend oneself
Antonyms: defy resist refuse
- give or convey physically; "She gave him First Aid"; "I gave him a punch in the nose"
- avail oneself to; "apply a principle"; "practice a religion"; "use care when going down the stairs"; "use your common sense"; "practice non-violent resistance"
Synonyms: practice use
- ensure observance of laws and rules; "Apply the rules to everyone";
Synonyms: enforce implement
Antonyms: exempt relieve free
- refer (a word or name) to a person or thing; "He applied this racial slur to me!"
- apply oneself to; "Please apply yourself to your homework"