Definition of 'authority'
- the power or right to give orders or make decisions; "he has the authority to issue warrants"; "deputies are given authorization to make arrests"; "a place of potency in the state"
Synonyms: authorization authorisation potency dominance say-so
- (usually plural) persons who exercise (administrative) control over others; "the authorities have issued a curfew"
- an expert whose views are taken as definitive; "he is an authority on corporate law"
- freedom from doubt; belief in yourself and your abilities; "his assurance in his superiority did not make him popular"; "after that failure he lost his confidence"; "she spoke with authority"
Synonyms: assurance self-assurance confidence self-confidence sureness
- an administrative unit of government; "the Central Intelligence Agency"; "the Census Bureau"; "Office of Management and Budget"; "Tennessee Valley Authority"
Synonyms: agency federal agency government agency bureau office
- official permission or approval; "authority for the program was renewed several times"
Synonyms: authorization authorisation sanction
- an authoritative written work; "this book is the final authority on the life of Milton"