Definition of 'behind'
- the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on; "he deserves a good kick in the butt"; "are you going to sit on your fanny and do nothing?"
Synonyms: buttocks nates arse butt backside bum buns can fundament hindquarters hind end keister posterior prat rear rear end rump stern seat tail tail end tooshie tush bottom derriere fanny
- having the lower score or lagging position in a contest; "behind by two points"; "the 8th inning found the home team trailing"
- in or to or toward the rear; "he followed behind"; "seen from behind, the house is more imposing than it is from the front"; "the final runners were far behind"
- remaining in a place or condition that has been left or departed from; "when he died he left much unfinished work behind"; "left a large family behind"; "the children left their books behind"; "he took off with a squeal of tires and left the other cars far behind"
- of timepieces; "the clock is almost an hour slow"; "my watch is running behind"
- in or into an inferior position; "fell behind in his studies"; "their business was lagging behind in the competition for customers"
- in debt; "he fell behind with his mortgage payments"; "a month behind in the rent"; "a company that has been run behindhand for years"; "in arrears with their utility bills"
Synonyms: behindhand in arrears