Definition of 'bother'
- an angry disturbance; "he didn't want to make a fuss"; "they had labor trouble"; "a spot of bother"
Synonyms: fuss trouble hassle
- something or someone that causes trouble; a source of unhappiness; "washing dishes was a nuisance before we got a dish washer"; "a bit of a bother"; "he's not a friend, he's an infliction"
Synonyms: annoyance botheration pain infliction pain in the neck pain in the ass
- take the trouble to do something; concern oneself; "He did not trouble to call his mother on her birthday"; "Don't bother, please"
Synonyms: trouble oneself trouble inconvenience oneself
- cause annoyance in; disturb, especially by minor irritations; "Mosquitoes buzzing in my ear really bothers me"; "It irritates me that she never closes the door after she leaves"
Synonyms: annoy rag get to get at irritate rile nark nettle gravel vex chafe devil
- to cause inconvenience or discomfort to; "Sorry to trouble you, but..."
Synonyms: trouble put out inconvenience disoblige discommode incommode
- intrude or enter uninvited; "Don't bother the professor while she is grading term papers"
- make nervous or agitated; "The mere thought of her bothered him and made his heart beat faster"
- make confused or perplexed or puzzled