Definition of 'break down'
- make a mathematical, chemical, or grammatical analysis of; break down into components or essential features; "analyze a specimen"; "analyze a sentence"; "analyze a chemical compound"
Synonyms: analyze analyse dissect take apart
Antonyms: synthesize synthesise
- make ineffective; "Martin Luther King tried to break down racial discrimination"
- lose control of one's emotions; "When she heard that she had not passed the exam, she lost it completely"; "When her baby died, she snapped"
Synonyms: lose it snap
- stop operating or functioning; "The engine finally went"; "The car died on the road"; "The bus we travelled in broke down on the way to town"; "The coffee maker broke"; "The engine failed on the way to town"; "her eyesight went after the accident"
Synonyms: fail go bad give way die give out conk out go break
- separate (substances) into constituent elements or parts
Synonyms: decompose break up
- fall apart; "the building crumbled after the explosion"; "Negotiations broke down"
Synonyms: crumble crumple tumble collapse
- cause to fall or collapse
- collapse due to fatigue, an illness, or a sudden attack