Definition of 'build'
- constitution of the human body
Synonyms: physique body-build habitus
- alternative names for the body of a human being; "Leonardo studied the human body"; "he has a strong physique"; "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak"
Synonyms: human body physical body material body soma figure physique anatomy shape bod chassis frame form flesh
- make by combining materials and parts; "this little pig made his house out of straw"; "Some eccentric constructed an electric brassiere warmer"
Synonyms: construct make
- form or accumulate steadily; "Resistance to the manager's plan built up quickly"; "Pressure is building up at the Indian-Pakistani border"
Synonyms: build up work up progress
- build or establish something abstract; "build a reputation"
- improve the cleansing action of; "build detergents"
- order, supervise, or finance the construction of; "The government is building new schools in this state"
- give form to, according to a plan; "build a modern nation"; "build a million-dollar business"
- be engaged in building; "These architects build in interesting and new styles"
- found or ground; "build a defense on nothing but the accused person's reputation"
- bolster or strengthen; "We worked up courage"; "build up confidence"; "ramp up security in the airports"
Synonyms: build up work up ramp up
- develop and grow; "Suspense was building right from the beginning of the opera"