Definition of 'bump'
- a lump on the body caused by a blow
- something that bulges out or is protuberant or projects from its surroundings; "the gun in his pocket made an obvious bulge"; "the hump of a camel"; "he stood on the rocky prominence"; "the occipital protuberance was well developed"; "the bony excrescence between its horns"
Synonyms: bulge hump gibbosity gibbousness jut prominence protuberance protrusion extrusion excrescence
- an impact (as from a collision); "the bump threw him off the bicycle"
- knock against with force or violence; "My car bumped into the tree"
- come upon, as if by accident; meet with; "We find this idea in Plato"; "I happened upon the most wonderful bakery not very far from here"; "She chanced upon an interesting book in the bookstore the other day"
Synonyms: find happen chance encounter
- dance erotically or dance with the pelvis thrust forward; "bump and grind"
- assign to a lower position; reduce in rank; "She was demoted because she always speaks up"; "He was broken down to Sergeant"
Synonyms: demote relegate break kick downstairs
Antonyms: promote upgrade advance kick upstairs raise elevate
- remove or force from a position of dwelling previously occupied; "The new employee dislodged her by moving into her office space"
Synonyms: dislodge displace