Definition of 'chafe'
- soreness and warmth caused by friction; "he had a nasty chafe on his knee"
- anger produced by some annoying irritation
Synonyms: annoyance vexation
- become or make sore by or as if by rubbing
Synonyms: gall fret
- feel extreme irritation or anger; "He was chafing at her suggestion that he stay at home while she went on a vacation"
- cause annoyance in; disturb, especially by minor irritations; "Mosquitoes buzzing in my ear really bothers me"; "It irritates me that she never closes the door after she leaves"
Synonyms: annoy rag get to bother get at irritate rile nark nettle gravel vex devil
- tear or wear off the skin or make sore by abrading; "This leash chafes the dog's neck"
- cause friction; "my sweater scratches"
Synonyms: rub fray fret scratch
- warm by rubbing, as with the hands