Definition of 'character'
- an imaginary person represented in a work of fiction (play or film or story); "she is the main character in the novel"
Synonyms: fictional character fictitious character
- a characteristic property that defines the apparent individual nature of something; "each town has a quality all its own"; "the radical character of our demands"
Synonyms: quality lineament
- the inherent complex of attributes that determine a persons moral and ethical actions and reactions; "education has for its object the formation of character"- Herbert Spencer
Synonyms: fiber fibre
- an actor's portrayal of someone in a play; "she played the part of Desdemona"
Synonyms: role theatrical role part persona
- a person of a specified kind (usually with many eccentricities); "a real character"; "a strange character"; "a friendly eccentric"; "the capable type"; "a mental case"
Synonyms: eccentric type case
- good repute; "he is a man of character"
- a formal recommendation by a former employer to a potential future employer describing the person's qualifications and dependability; "requests for character references are all to often answered evasively"
Synonyms: reference character reference
- a written symbol that is used to represent speech; "the Greek alphabet has 24 characters"
Synonyms: grapheme graphic symbol
- (genetics) an attribute (structural or functional) that is determined by a gene or group of genes
- engrave or inscribe characters on