Definition of 'choke'
- a coil of low resistance and high inductance used in electrical circuits to pass direct current and attenuate alternating current
Synonyms: choke coil choking coil
- a valve that controls the flow of air into the carburetor of a gasoline engine
- breathe with great difficulty, as when experiencing a strong emotion; "She choked with emotion when she spoke about her deceased husband"
- be too tight; rub or press; "This neckband is choking the cat"
Synonyms: gag fret
- wring the neck of; "The man choked his opponent"
- constrict (someone's) throat and keep from breathing
- struggle for breath; have insufficient oxygen intake; "he swallowed a fishbone and gagged"
Synonyms: gag strangle suffocate
- fail to perform adequately due to tension or agitation; "The team should have won hands down but choked, disappointing the coach and the audience"
- check or slow down the action or effect of; "She choked her anger"
- become or cause to become obstructed; "The leaves clog our drains in the Fall"; "The water pipe is backed up"
Synonyms: clog choke off clog up back up congest foul
- impair the respiration of or obstruct the air passage of; "The foul air was slowly suffocating the children"
Synonyms: suffocate stifle asphyxiate
- become stultified, suppressed, or stifled; "He is suffocating--living at home with his aged parents in the small village"
- suppress the development, creativity, or imagination of; "His job suffocated him"
- pass from physical life and lose all bodily attributes and functions necessary to sustain life; "She died from cancer"; "They children perished in the fire"; "The patient went peacefully"; "The old guy kicked the bucket at the age of 102"
Synonyms: die decease perish go exit pass away expire pass kick the bucket cash in one's chips buy the farm conk give-up the ghost drop dead pop off croak snuff it
Antonyms: be born
- reduce the air supply; "choke a carburetor"
- cause to retch or choke