Definition of 'close up'
- cease to operate or cause to cease operating; "The owners decided to move and to close the factory"; "My business closes every night at 8 P.M."; "close up the shop"
Synonyms: close fold shut down close down
Antonyms: open open up
- block passage through; "obstruct the path"
Synonyms: obstruct obturate impede occlude jam block
Antonyms: free disengage
- unite or bring into contact or bring together the edges of; "close the circuit"; "close a wound"; "close a book"; "close up an umbrella"
- refuse to talk or stop talking; fall silent; "The children shut up when their father approached"
Synonyms: clam up dummy up shut up belt up button up be quiet keep mum
Antonyms: open up
- very close; "without my reading glasses I can hardly see things close up"; "even firing at close range he missed"
Synonyms: at close range