Definition of 'collapse'
- an abrupt failure of function or health
- a mishap caused by something suddenly falling down or caving in
- the act of throwing yourself down; "he landed on the bed with a great flop"
- a sudden large decline of business or the prices of stocks (especially one that causes additional failures)
- break down, literally or metaphorically; "The wall collapsed"; "The business collapsed"; "The dam broke"; "The roof collapsed"; "The wall gave in"; "The roof finally gave under the weight of the ice"
Synonyms: fall in cave in give give way break founder
- collapse due to fatigue, an illness, or a sudden attack
Synonyms: break down
- fold or close up; "fold up your umbrella"; "collapse the music stand"
- fall apart; "the building crumbled after the explosion"; "Negotiations broke down"
Synonyms: crumble crumple tumble break down
- cause to burst; "The ice broke the pipe"
- suffer a nervous breakdown
Synonyms: crack up crack crock up break up
- lose significance, effectiveness, or value; "The school system is collapsing"; "The stock market collapsed"