Definition of 'costume'
- the attire worn in a play or at a fancy dress ball; "he won the prize for best costume"
- unusual or period attire not characteristic of or appropriate to the time and place; "in spite of the heat he insisted on his woolen costume"
- the prevalent fashion of dress (including accessories and hair style as well as garments)
- the attire characteristic of a country or a time or a social class; "he wore his national costume"
- dress in a costume; "We dressed up for Halloween as pumpkins"
Synonyms: dress up
- furnish with costumes; as for a film or play