Definition of 'counter'
- table consisting of a horizontal surface over which business is transacted
- game equipment used in various card or board games
- a calculator that keeps a record of the number of times something happens
- a piece of furniture that stands at the side of a dining room; has shelves and drawers
Synonyms: buffet sideboard
- a person who counts things
- a quick reply to a question or remark (especially a witty or critical one); "it brought a sharp rejoinder from the teacher"
Synonyms: rejoinder retort return riposte replication comeback
- (computer science) a register whose contents go through a regular series of states (usually states indicating consecutive integers)
- a piece of leather forming the back of a shoe or boot; "a counter may be used to stiffen the material around the heel and to give support to the foot"
Synonyms: heel counter
- a return punch (especially by a boxer)
Synonyms: counterpunch parry
- speak in response; "He countered with some very persuasive arguments"
- act in advance of; deal with ahead of time
Synonyms: anticipate foresee forestall
- indicating opposition or resistance
- in the opposite direction; "run counter"