Definition of 'country'
- the territory occupied by a nation; "he returned to the land of his birth"; "he visited several European countries"
Synonyms: state land
- a politically organized body of people under a single government; "the state has elected a new president"; "African nations"; "students who had come to the nation's capitol"; "the country's largest manufacturer"; "an industrialized land"
Synonyms: state nation land commonwealth res publica body politic
- the people who live in a nation or country; "a statement that sums up the nation's mood"; "the news was announced to the nation"; "the whole country worshipped him"
Synonyms: nation land
- an area outside of cities and towns; "his poetry celebrated the slower pace of life in the country"
Synonyms: rural area
Antonyms: urban area populated area
- a particular geographical region of indefinite boundary (usually serving some special purpose or distinguished by its people or culture or geography); "it was a mountainous area"; "Bible country"