Definition of 'couple'
- a small indefinite number; "he's coming for a couple of days"
- a pair of people who live together; "a married couple from Chicago"
Synonyms: mates match
- a pair who associate with one another; "the engaged couple"; "an inseparable twosome"
Synonyms: twosome duo duet
- two items of the same kind
Synonyms: pair twosome twain brace span yoke couplet distich duo duet dyad duad
- (physics) something joined by two equal and opposite forces that act along parallel lines
- bring two objects, ideas, or people together; "This fact is coupled to the other one"; "Matchmaker, can you match my daughter with a nice young man?"; "The student was paired with a partner for collaboration on the project"
Synonyms: match mate pair twin
- link together; "can we couple these proposals?"
Synonyms: couple on couple up
Antonyms: uncouple decouple
- form a pair or pairs; "The two old friends paired off"
Synonyms: pair pair off partner off
- make love; "Birds mate in the Spring"
Synonyms: copulate mate pair