Definition of 'cover'
You searched for covers
- a covering that serves to conceal or shelter something; "they crouched behind the screen"; "under cover of darkness"
Synonyms: screen covert concealment
- bedding that keeps a person warm in bed; "he pulled the covers over his head and went to sleep"
- the act of concealing the existence of something by obstructing the view of it; "the cover concealed their guns from enemy aircraft"
Synonyms: covering screening masking
- the protective covering on the front, back, and spine of a book; "the book had a leather binding"
Synonyms: binding book binding back
- a natural object that covers or envelops; "under a covering of dust"; "the fox was flushed from its cover"
Synonyms: covering natural covering
- covering for a hole (especially a hole in the top of a container); "he removed the top of the carton"; "he couldn't get the top off of the bottle"; "put the cover back on the kettle"
- fire that makes it difficult for the enemy to fire on your own individuals or formations; "artillery provided covering fire for the withdrawal"
Synonyms: covering fire
- a fixed charge by a restaurant or night club over and above the charge for food and drink
Synonyms: cover charge
- a recording of a song that was first recorded or made popular by somebody else; "they made a cover of a Beatles' song"
Synonyms: cover version cover song
- a false identity and background (especially one created for an undercover agent); "her new name and passport are cover for her next assignment"
- provide with a covering or cause to be covered; "cover her face with a handkerchief"; "cover the child with a blanket"; "cover the grave with flowers"
Antonyms: uncover expose
- form a cover over; "The grass covered the grave"
Synonyms: spread over
- span an interval of distance, space or time; "The war extended over five years"; "The period covered the turn of the century"; "My land extends over the hills on the horizon"; "This farm covers some 200 acres"; "The Archipelago continues for another 500 miles"
Synonyms: continue extend
- provide for; "The grant doesn't cover my salary"
- deal with verbally or in some form of artistic expression; "This book deals with incest"; "The course covered all of Western Civilization"; "The new book treats the history of China"
Synonyms: treat handle plow deal address
- include in scope; include as part of something broader; have as one's sphere or territory; "This group encompasses a wide range of people from different backgrounds"; "this should cover everyone in the group"
Synonyms: embrace encompass comprehend
- travel across or pass over; "The caravan covered almost 100 miles each day"
Synonyms: traverse track cross pass over get over get across cut through cut across
- be responsible for reporting the details of, as in journalism; "Snow reported on China in the 1950's"; "The cub reporter covered New York City"
- hold within range of an aimed firearm
- to take an action to protect against future problems; "Count the cash in the drawer twice just to cover yourself"
- hide from view or knowledge; "The President covered the fact that he bugged the offices in the White House"
Synonyms: cover up
- protect or defend (a position in a game); "he covered left field"
- maintain a check on; especially by patrolling; "The second officer covered the top floor"
- protect by insurance; "The insurance won't cover this"
Synonyms: insure underwrite
- make up for shortcomings or a feeling of inferiority by exaggerating good qualities; "he is compensating for being a bad father"
Synonyms: compensate overcompensate
- invest with a large or excessive amount of something; "She covered herself with glory"
- help out by taking someone's place and temporarily assuming his responsibilities; "She is covering for our secretary who is ill this week"
- be sufficient to meet, defray, or offset the charge or cost of; "Is this enough to cover the check?"
- spread over a surface to conceal or protect; "This paint covers well"
- cover as if with a shroud; "The origins of this civilization are shrouded in mystery"
Synonyms: shroud enshroud hide
- copulate with a female, used especially of horses; "The horse covers the mare"
- put something on top of something else; "cover the meat with a lot of gravy"
- play a higher card than the one previously played; "Smith covered again"
- be responsible for guarding an opponent in a game
- sit on (eggs); "Birds brood"; "The female covers the eggs"
Synonyms: brood hatch incubate
- clothe, as if for protection from the elements; "cover your head!"
Synonyms: wrap up