Definition of 'crack'
- a long narrow opening
Synonyms: cleft crevice fissure scissure
- a narrow opening; "he opened the window a crack"
- a long narrow depression in a surface
Synonyms: crevice cranny fissure chap
- a sudden sharp noise; "the crack of a whip"; "he heard the cracking of the ice"; "he can hear the snap of a twig"
Synonyms: cracking snap
- a chance to do something; "he wanted a shot at the champion"
- witty remark
Synonyms: wisecrack sally quip
- a blemish resulting from a break without complete separation of the parts; "there was a crack in the mirror"
- a purified and potent form of cocaine that is smoked rather than snorted
- a usually brief attempt; "he took a crack at it"; "I gave it a whirl"
Synonyms: fling go pass whirl offer
- the act of cracking something
Synonyms: fracture cracking
- become fractured; break or crack on the surface only; "The glass cracked when it was heated"
Synonyms: check break
- make a very sharp explosive sound; "His gun cracked"
- make a sharp sound; "his fingers snapped"
- hit forcefully; deal a hard blow, making a cracking noise; "The teacher cracked him across the face with a ruler"
- pass through (a barrier); "Registrations cracked through the 30,000 mark in the county"
Synonyms: break through
- break partially but keep its integrity; "The glass cracked"
- break suddenly and abruptly, as under tension; "The rope snapped"
- suffer a nervous breakdown
Synonyms: crack up crock up break up collapse
- tell spontaneously; "crack a joke"
- cause to become cracked; "heat and light cracked the back of the leather chair"
- reduce (petroleum) to a simpler compound by cracking
- break into simpler molecules by means of heat; "The petroleum cracked"
- of the highest quality; "an ace reporter"; "a crack shot"; "a first-rate golfer"; "a super party"; "played top-notch tennis"; "an athlete in tiptop condition"; "she is absolutely tops"
Synonyms: ace A-one fantastic first-rate super tiptop topnotch tops