Definition of 'cry'
You searched for cried
- a loud utterance; often in protest or opposition; "the speaker was interrupted by loud cries from the rear of the audience"
Synonyms: outcry call yell shout vociferation
- a loud utterance of emotion (especially when inarticulate); "a cry of rage"; "a yell of pain"
- a slogan used to rally support for a cause; "a cry to arms"; "our watchword will be `democracy'"
Synonyms: war cry rallying cry battle cry watchword
- a fit of weeping; "had a good cry"
- the characteristic utterance of an animal; "animal cries filled the night"
- utter a sudden loud cry; "she cried with pain when the doctor inserted the needle"; "I yelled to her from the window but she couldn't hear me"
Synonyms: shout shout out call yell scream holler hollo squall
- shed tears because of sadness, rage, or pain; "She cried bitterly when she heard the news of his death"; "The girl in the wheelchair wept with frustration when she could not get up the stairs"
Antonyms: laugh express joy express mirth
- utter aloud; often with surprise, horror, or joy; "`I won!' he exclaimed"; "`Help!' she cried"; "`I'm here,' the mother shouted when she saw her child looking lost"
Synonyms: exclaim cry out outcry call out shout
- proclaim or announce in public; "before we had newspapers, a town crier would cry the news"; "He cried his merchandise in the market square"
Synonyms: blazon out
- demand immediate action; "This situation is crying for attention"
- utter a characteristic sound; "The cat was crying"
- bring into a particular state by crying; "The little boy cried himself to sleep"