Definition of 'cross'
You searched for crossest
- a wooden structure consisting of an upright post with a transverse piece
- a marking that consists of lines that cross each other
Synonyms: crisscross mark
- a representation of the structure on which Jesus was crucified; used as an emblem of Christianity or in heraldry
- any affliction that causes great suffering; "that is his cross to bear"; "he bears his afflictions like a crown of thorns"
Synonyms: crown of thorns
- an organism that is the offspring of genetically dissimilar parents or stock; especially offspring produced by breeding plants or animals of different varieties or breeds or species; "a mule is a cross between a horse and a donkey"
Synonyms: hybrid crossbreed
- (genetics) the act of mixing different species or varieties of animals or plants and thus to produce hybrids
Synonyms: hybridization hybridisation crossbreeding crossing interbreeding hybridizing
- travel across or pass over; "The caravan covered almost 100 miles each day"
Synonyms: traverse track cover pass over get over get across cut through cut across
- meet at a point
- hinder or prevent (the efforts, plans, or desires) of; "What ultimately frustrated every challenger was Ruth's amazing September surge"; "foil your opponent"
Synonyms: thwart queer spoil scotch foil frustrate baffle bilk
- fold so as to resemble a cross; "she crossed her legs"
- to cover or extend over an area or time period; "Rivers traverse the valley floor", "The parking lot spans 3 acres"; "The novel spans three centuries"
Synonyms: traverse span sweep
- meet and pass; "the trains crossed"
- trace a line through or across; "cross your `t'"
- breed animals or plants using parents of different races and varieties; "cross a horse and a donkey"; "Mendel tried crossbreeding"; "these species do not interbreed"
Synonyms: crossbreed hybridize hybridise interbreed
- extending or lying across; in a crosswise direction; at right angles to the long axis; "cross members should be all steel"; "from the transverse hall the stairway ascends gracefully"; "transversal vibrations"; "transverse colon"
Synonyms: transverse transversal thwartwise
- perversely irritable
Synonyms: crabbed crabby fussy grouchy grumpy bad-tempered ill-tempered