Definition of 'culture'
- a particular society at a particular time and place; "early Mayan civilization"
Synonyms: civilization civilisation
- the tastes in art and manners that are favored by a social group
- all the knowledge and values shared by a society
- (biology) the growing of microorganisms in a nutrient medium (such as gelatin or agar); "the culture of cells in a Petri dish"
- a highly developed state of perfection; having a flawless or impeccable quality; "they performed with great polish"; "I admired the exquisite refinement of his prose"; "almost an inspiration which gives to all work that finish which is almost art"--Joseph Conrad
Synonyms: polish refinement cultivation finish
- the attitudes and behavior that are characteristic of a particular social group or organization; "the developing drug culture"; "the reason that the agency is doomed to inaction has something to do with the FBI culture"
- the raising of plants or animals; "the culture of oysters"