Definition of 'curb'
- an edge between a sidewalk and a roadway consisting of a line of curbstones (usually forming part of a gutter)
Synonyms: curbing kerb
- a horse's bit with an attached chain or strap to check the horse
Synonyms: curb bit
- a stock exchange in New York
Synonyms: American Stock Exchange AMEX
- the act of restraining power or action or limiting excess; "his common sense is a bridle to his quick temper"
Synonyms: bridle check
- lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or keep within limits; "moderate your alcohol intake"; "hold your tongue"; "hold your temper"; "control your anger"
Synonyms: control hold in hold contain check moderate
- to put down by force or authority; "suppress a nascent uprising"; "stamp down on littering"; "conquer one's desires"
Synonyms: suppress stamp down inhibit subdue conquer
- keep to the curb; "curb your dogs"
- place restrictions on; "curtail drinking in school"
Synonyms: restrict curtail cut back