Definition of 'cut off'
- make a break in; "We interrupt the program for the following messages"
Synonyms: interrupt disrupt break up
- cease, stop; "cut the noise"; "We had to cut short the conversation"
- remove by or as if by cutting; "cut off the ear"; "lop off the dead branch"
Synonyms: chop off lop off
- cut off and stop; "The bicyclist was cut out by the van"
Synonyms: cut out
- break a small piece off from; "chip the glass"; "chip a tooth"
Synonyms: chip knap break off
- remove surgically; "amputate limbs"
- detached by cutting; "cut flowers"; "a severed head"; "an old tale of Anne Bolyn walking the castle walls with her poor cut-off head under her arm"