Definition of 'cutting'
You searched for cuttings
- the activity of selecting the scenes to be shown and putting them together to create a film
Synonyms: film editing
- a part (sometimes a root or leaf or bud) removed from a plant to propagate a new plant through rooting or grafting
- the act of cutting something into parts; "his cuts were skillful"; "his cutting of the cake made a terrible mess"
- a piece cut off from the main part of something
- an excerpt cut from a newspaper or magazine; "he searched through piles of letters and clippings"
Synonyms: clipping newspaper clipping press clipping press cutting
- removing parts to create a desired shape
- the division of a deck of cards before dealing; "he insisted that we give him the last cut before every deal"; "the cutting of the cards soon became a ritual"
- the act of penetrating or opening open with a sharp edge; "his cut in the lining revealed the hidden jewels"
- the act of diluting something; "the cutting of whiskey with water"; "the thinning of paint with turpentine"
- the act of shortening something by choping off the ends; "the barber gave him a good cut"
Synonyms: cut cutting off
- (of speech) harsh or hurtful in tone or character; "cutting remarks"; "edged satire"; "a stinging comment"
Synonyms: edged stinging
- unpleasantly cold and damp; "bleak winds of the North Atlantic"
Synonyms: bleak raw
- as physically painful as if caused by a sharp instrument; "a cutting wind"; "keen winds"; "knifelike cold"; "piercing knifelike pains"; "piercing cold"; "piercing criticism"; "a stabbing pain"; "lancinating pain"
Synonyms: keen knifelike piercing stabbing lancinate lancinating
- suitable for cutting or severing; "a cutting tool"; "the cutting edge"