Definition of 'dampen'
- smother or suppress; "Stifle your curiosity"
Antonyms: stimulate excite
- make moist; "The dew moistened the meadows"
Synonyms: moisten wash
- deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping
Synonyms: muffle mute dull damp tone down
- reduce the amplitude (of oscillations or waves)
- make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible; "muffle the message"
Synonyms: deaden damp
- check; keep in check (a fire)
- lessen in force or effect; "soften a shock"; "break a fall"
Synonyms: damp soften weaken break