Definition of 'deaden'
- make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible; "muffle the message"
Synonyms: dampen damp
- cut a girdle around so as to kill by interrupting the circulation of water and nutrients; "girdle the plant"
- make vapid or deprive of spirit; "deadened wine"
- lessen the momentum or velocity of; "deaden a ship's headway"
- become lifeless, less lively, intense, or active; lose life, force, or vigor
- make less lively, intense, or vigorous; impair in vigor, force, activity, or sensation; "Terror blunted her feelings"; "deaden a sound"
Antonyms: enliven liven liven up invigorate animate
- convert (metallic mercury) into a grey powder consisting of minute globules, as by shaking with chalk or fatty oil