Definition of 'debate'
- a discussion in which reasons are advanced for and against some proposition or proposal; "the argument over foreign aid goes on and on"
Synonyms: argument argumentation
- the formal presentation of and opposition to a stated proposition (usually followed by a vote)
Synonyms: disputation public debate
- argue with one another; "We debated the question of abortion"; "John debated Mary"
- think about carefully; weigh; "They considered the possibility of a strike"; "Turn the proposal over in your mind"
Synonyms: consider moot turn over deliberate
- discuss the pros and cons of an issue
- have an argument about something
Synonyms: argue contend fence