Definition of 'decay'
- the process of gradually becoming inferior
- a gradual decrease; as of stored charge or current
- the organic phenomenon of rotting
- an inferior state resulting from the process of decaying; "the corpse was in an advanced state of decay"; "the house had fallen into a serious state of decay and disrepair"
- the spontaneous disintegration of a radioactive substance along with the emission of ionizing radiation
Synonyms: radioactive decay disintegration
- lose a stored charge, magnetic flux, or current; "the particles disintegrated during the nuclear fission process"
Synonyms: disintegrate decompose
- fall into decay or ruin; "The unoccupied house started to decay"
Synonyms: crumble delapidate
- undergo decay or decomposition; "The body started to decay and needed to be cremated"