Definition of 'decent'
- socially or conventionally correct; refined or virtuous; "from a decent family"; "a nice girl"
- according with custom or propriety; "her becoming modesty"; "comely behavior"; "it is not comme il faut for a gentleman to be constantly asking for money"; "a decent burial"; "seemly behavior"
Synonyms: becoming comely comme il faut decorous seemly
- conforming to conventions of sexual behavior; "speech in this circle, if not always decent, never became lewd"- George Santayana
- enough to meet a purpose; "an adequate income"; "the food was adequate"; "a decent wage"; "enough food"; "food enough"
Synonyms: adequate enough
- decently clothed; "are you decent?"
- observing conventional sexual mores in speech or behavior or dress; "a modest neckline in her dress"; "though one of her shoulder straps had slipped down, she was perfectly decent by current standards"
- in the right manner; "please do your job properly!"; "can't you carry me decent?"
Synonyms: properly decently in good order right the right way