Definition of 'deduction'
- a reduction in the gross amount on which a tax is calculated; reduces taxes by the percentage fixed for the taxpayer's income bracket
Synonyms: tax write-off tax deduction
- an amount or percentage deducted
- something that is inferred (deduced or entailed or implied); "his resignation had political implications"
Synonyms: entailment implication
- reasoning from the general to the particular (or from cause to effect)
Synonyms: deductive reasoning synthesis
- the act of subtracting (removing a part from the whole); "he complained about the subtraction of money from their paychecks"
- the act of reducing the selling price of merchandise
Synonyms: discount price reduction