Definition of 'delay'
You searched for delaying
- time during which some action is awaited; "instant replay caused too long a delay"; "he ordered a hold in the action"
Synonyms: hold time lag postponement wait
- the act of delaying; inactivity resulting in something being put off until a later time
- cause to be slowed down or delayed; "Traffic was delayed by the bad weather"; "she delayed the work that she didn't want to perform"
Synonyms: detain hold up
Antonyms: rush hurry
- act later than planned, scheduled, or required; "Don't delay your application to graduate school or else it won't be considered"
- stop or halt; "Please stay the bloodshed!"
Synonyms: stay detain
- slow the growth or development of; "The brain damage will retard the child's language development"
Synonyms: check retard