Definition of 'demand'
You searched for demanded
- the ability and desire to purchase goods and services; "the automobile reduced the demand for buggywhips"; "the demand exceeded the supply"
- an urgent or peremptory request; "his demands for attention were unceasing"
- a condition requiring relief; "she satisfied his need for affection"; "God has no need of men to accomplish His work"; "there is a demand for jobs"
- the act of demanding; "the kidnapper's exorbitant demands for money"
- required activity; "the requirements of his work affected his health"; "there were many demands on his time"
- request urgently and forcefully; "The victim's family is demanding compensation"; "The boss demanded that he be fired immediately"; "She demanded to see the manager"
- require as useful, just, or proper; "It takes nerve to do what she did"; "success usually requires hard work"; "This job asks a lot of patience and skill"; "This position demands a lot of personal sacrifice"; "This dinner calls for a spectacular dessert"; "This intervention does not postulate a patient's consent"
Synonyms: necessitate ask postulate need require take involve call for
Antonyms: obviate rid of eliminate
- claim as due or just; "The bank demanded payment of the loan"
- lay legal claim to
- summon to court
- ask to be informed of; "I demand an explanation"