Definition of 'design'
- the act of working out the form of something (as by making a sketch or outline or plan); "he contributed to the design of a new instrument"
- an arrangement scheme; "the awkward design of the keyboard made operation difficult"; "it was an excellent design for living"; "a plan for seating guests"
- something intended as a guide for making something else; "a blueprint for a house"; "a pattern for a skirt"
Synonyms: blueprint pattern
- a decorative or artistic work; "the coach had a design on the doors"
Synonyms: pattern figure
- an anticipated outcome that is intended or that guides your planned actions; "his intent was to provide a new translation"; "good intentions are not enough"; "it was created with the conscious aim of answering immediate needs"; "he made no secret of his designs"
Synonyms: purpose intent intention aim
- a preliminary sketch indicating the plan for something; "the design of a building"
- the creation of something in the mind
Synonyms: invention innovation excogitation conception
- make or work out a plan for; devise; "They contrived to murder their boss"; "design a new sales strategy"; "plan an attack"
Synonyms: plan project contrive
- design something for a specific role or purpose or effect; "This room is not designed for work"
- create the design for; create or execute in an artistic or highly skilled manner; "Chanel designed the famous suit"
- make a design of; plan out in systematic, often graphic form; "design a better mousetrap"; "plan the new wing of the museum"
- create designs; "Dupont designs for the house of Chanel"
- conceive or fashion in the mind; invent; "She designed a good excuse for not attending classes that day"
- intend or have as a purpose; "She designed to go far in the world of business"